Just the two of us

Just the two of us

Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Wednesday May 26


Everyone warned me it would happen and it did-I got sunburned. When we checked in on Saturday the concierge told us about Captain Andy’s Napali Coast Adventure. After hearing about a catamaran ride up the Napali coast with snorkeling and lunch we couldn’t resist so we booked the trip and this morning we got up nice early and headed out. The weather was a little chilly and a little cloudy. I think this is one of the main reasons why I thought I wasn’t getting sunburned. The boat ride was great. In the front of the boat they had these two areas named “the tramps”.  They were more like hammocks that we rode on. It was great because we got the most wet (which was only refreshing when the sun was out) and also got bounced the most. Up at the top of the coast before we had to turn back for about 20 minutes we were hitting six to seven feet swells and it got a little crazy. I thought it was great. Eric, Mom and I were bouncing around like crazy. Dad was down below making sure his camera was dry so we would have great pictures. 

On the way up we saw a huge pod of dolphins. The captain (who was not Captain Andy but Captain Rock) said it was a very large pod.  The Hawaiian spinner dolphins are very fast and do a lot of aerobics. They are not in captivity everywhere so this is the only place to see them.  One of the dolphins we saw had a little shark that attached to the back of the dolphin. When the shark gets hungry it just takes a bite of the dolphin. The shark just moves around to new areas of the dolphin and he is good to go for life. 

One of the parts of the tour was snorkeling. I had never been and was a little nervous. Eric and his parents had both been and were all ready to go. Knowing we were in 25 feet of water made me worried since I am not a strong swimmer. My other worry was I don’t do well when I have to breathe through my mouth. After getting in the water and getting my mask and fins on I did okay. Since you can stay face down in the water it is much easier to stay afloat in the deep of water. We had a water camera so we took pictures of the fish under water and each other. When we first got in the water there were fish just right there all over the place.  I didn’t want to move at first because I was scared that I would run into one of them but they moved out of my way so I was okay. It was a great experience and I am grateful that I took the chance to do something new that scared me just a little bit. I really want to go again and will probably try and talk my family in to going when we are in Florida next September.  

It was a great day. The only down side being that I got sunburned. Right now my right ear feels like it is shooting flames off the side of my head. Why only one ear? I am not sure since both of my shoulders are burned.  We were planning a beach day tomorrow but I don’t think that will happen now that we are all a bit lobsterfied. I have a red ear, Eric had a red nose, Dad has red feet and Mom has red knees. Anyone looking at us knows we are tourists.

No comments:

Post a Comment