Saturday May 22, 2010
We made it to Hawaii!!! Saturday morning started bright and early at 5:00 AM. From Des Moines we flew to Phoenix where we met up with Eric’s parents. While we were waiting in Des Moines the news was breaking about a plane crash in India where 160 people had died. As Eric and I were waiting to board the plane the airline announced that we were delayed for a few minutes because of a slight mechanical malfunction. Yeah that was comforting. After making it to Phoenix safely Eric and I had to run through the airport-almost, but not quite Amazing Race style. Even though we were starving we only had time to grab a pre-packed salad before jumping on our next flight.
I was a little worried about the flight because the last time I flew for that long of a time I got really sick but I did just fine other than being a little hungry. Luckily Eric’s mom came through and had packed lots of snacks.
Once we got to Kauai we had to wait for a while to get our luggage but all of it arrived. All around the airport (and all over the island) there are chickens that run around. They are completely wild and just do their own thing. The closest thing I can compare it to is like the squirrels that run around Iowa. The only thing that made me sad was there was no one waiting for me to give me a beautiful lei. But later when we got to the resort the concierge gave us leis made out of little tiny shells.
As soon as we left the airport to drive to the resort I was in love. The scenery was gorgeous! There is a reason Kauai is the Garden Island. At one point on the road there is about a mile long stretch that has trees on both sides going straight down the road and they are just breathtaking. That is by far the most beautiful stretch of road I have ever driven down.
The weather here is perfect. Warm enough to be outside and enjoy nature but not so hot that you are miserable. Right now it is a little windy but after living in Iowa for so long I am no stranger to wind.
It sounds like you are having a great time in Ohio (and it sounds like you had a great time in Hawaii.) We miss you here! I'm so sad I didn't get to say goodbye! We'll be watching your blog for updates throughout your journey! Send me your current address when you have a chance so I can send you the last Subway gift card from Live Healthy Iowa...
ReplyDelete