Just the two of us

Just the two of us

Saturday, February 27, 2010

I bagged Bambi

(Eric) So I thought since my name was on the blog, I might as well make at least one entry during my lifetime. Last night I bagged my first deer. She was a doe (I know that Bambi was male), but rather large for a deer in Iowa. I don't own a bow, crossbow, shotgun or rifle. But I do own a sling . . . like David slaying Goliath. But that isn't how it happened. My trusty 4 cylinder Chevy Cobalt took the deer out.

Kristelle and I were on our way to her parents' house for FHE last night, driving north on I-35 going through town just south of the Hickman Rd. exit. The sun had just gone down, casting a pale orange glow on everything. I was talking to Kristelle and all of the sudden I saw two deer running across the freeway about 10 feet ahead of me. I slammed on the brakes, said something rated PG . . . I think, and the thought, "This is going to be expensive" went through my head.

Looking at the car, I believe that we decelerated about 40mph in 10 feet or so. I was impressed. The car has minor cosmetic damage to the front end, and deer pieces on the exaust pipe which stink as the pipe gets hot. The deer ended up riding under our car for about 50 yards as we tried to get to the side of the road. She didn't make it. We were very blessed that nothing worse happened. So all I have to say is, "Say your prayers, brush your teeth, eat your vegetables and drive a Chevy Cobalt."

No comments:

Post a Comment