Just the two of us

Just the two of us

Sunday, January 17, 2010

Depression UnMasked

Tonight my stake held a RS meeting where the brethren were invited to talk about Depression. I have to admit that this afternoon I wasn't sure if I wanted to go but I am very thankful that I did go. The program had a lot of different speakers with a lot of different view points. The first speaker was a medical doctor who went over some of the physical aspects of depression. He is also a sufferer of depression. After that a sister and a brother from the stake who both suffer spoke and shared their experiences. Brother Smith who spoke touched my heart especially. He mentioned that there were a few things that have helped him get through the harder times. One of which was listening to, singing or reciting hymns. The other thing he mentioned was to remember when I did have a testimony because so often in the depths of a depressed episode the Spirit can barely reach me and I start to doubt my own beliefs. It was very help for me to hear what has worked for people who have depression, are members of the Church and also who are people I know and see and interact with.

The second half focused more on the loved ones who support. Sister Smith once again was the one who touched my heart. She talked about depression from the outside looking in and I think it really helped me understand Eric's position more. It also helped me see what I need to realistically expect in my future. The majority of those who spoke have been dealing with depression for an extended amount of time.

I felt strengthen walking out of that meeting and even now thinking back to the feeling of unity and support brings tears to my eyes.

On a personal note I am so grateful to all of those who have helped me during rough days and hard times. The irony is so many of you do not know what you have done for me since I was so good at so long about putting on a happy face and hiding how I truly was doing.

No comments:

Post a Comment