In a day and age when so many people try to be politically correct I was stunned when Mike Huckabee spoke out against gay marriage in a way that would leave no one doubting his opinion. (Read the article here.) Living in Iowa we hear about this topic a lot being a state that allows gay marriage and the affects it is having on people.
I personally am opposed to gay marriage but I remember before the elections of 2008 being really torn about who to vote for. My brother-in-law was very firmly against Obama (and still is). He would come to dinners and discuss all the ways Obama was wrong. While I agreed with a lot of what he said I also could see that on the surface Obama seemed to have plans where McCain just talked. The thing that finally convinced me to vote against Obama was a talk given at BYU during a devotional before election day (the transcript is here) discussing how moral rights are more important than economic and other such laws.
I will be honest I didn't understand a lot of his talk but I love this quote about truth:
But we must have
faith that truth is luminously powerful, so
that if we bear witness to the truth about,
say, marriage and the sanctity of human
life—lovingly, civilly, but also
passionately and with determination—
and if we honor the truth in advancing
our positions, then even many of our
fellow citizens who now find themselves
on the other side of these issues will come
around.
I am so grateful that I live in a country and in a time when I can speak my mind and voice my opinion. I am also very grateful for the gospel in my life so when the ways of the world are veiled and made to look correct I can know and recognize things as they really are.
No comments:
Post a Comment