Just the two of us
Wednesday, February 6, 2013
A look in the mirror
On Tuesday nights my ward has a depression support group. Most of the time it is the same group of sisters who attend. Most are aware of how a group session should run and things go smoothly. Other times a new sister comes and things go a bit crazy. Last night was on of those nights. A sister came for the first time and I will not deny that she has been through a lot of crazy and hard things but the more she talked the less she wanted support from any of us or to work with anyone on how to work through the problems. By the time the group was done none of us wanted to offer any advice or support because she jumped down our throats and told us that we were wrong and could never understand. The hard part was I was watching myself when I get really upset and Eric tries to help me feel better. I will use some of the same phrases and lines that this sister was using. While group was not as helpful for me in the normal way it did help me see things from Eric's point of view. When I came home I apologized to Eric and I hope this will stick in my mind when things go south again.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I agree! This was helpful for me in a different way for sure! Although I wasn't sure how to help her but maybe she just needed a place to VENT!
ReplyDeleteYeah, it sounds like she just wanted people to vent to, but she didn't know how to do it in a healthy way. I would always keep in mind that it's her issue, and HER ego. How she acts towards you, has nothing to do with you--it's all her issues. Keeping this in mind will help you have a compassionate, but at the same time, emotionally distanced way of interacting. You can't let her ruin your day. *hugs*
ReplyDelete