Just the two of us

Just the two of us

Sunday, November 13, 2011

Great Falls, VA

 On Saturday Eric and I decided to go to a National Historic Landmark/National Park at the Potomac River about an hour and half from our house. I loved the waterfalls. The water falls over 7 stories. It was pretty crazy watching the kayakers in the rapids.
  Near the look outs was a post showing how high the water had gotten in past years. The very top sign is the highest the water got in 1936. Considering the water was down a cliff about 20 feet it must have been quite a flood

Part of the reason this area is a historical landmark is because of the canal ruins. In between being General and President George Washington felt that there needed to be a better way to trade and communicate through the country. He felt that rivers with canals were the way to do that. Since the Potomac had the big waterfalls they built a canal along the side of the river to transfer goods. They spent 20 years building it and then 30 years using it before it was abandoned.

Eric and I were able to hike and enjoyed the great weather. At one point we were on a path that was covered with dried leaves so we were making crazy noise. I had commented we probably wouldn't see any deer. About 5 minutes later a deer startled us when she moved about 5 feet from us. I guess I was way wrong.

No comments:

Post a Comment