Just the two of us

Just the two of us

Thursday, September 30, 2010

The Redcoats are coming, the redcoats are coming



Hartford is in the Boston Temple district so Eric and I made the trip to the temple and then to also see the city. We had a hard time finding the temple and had to drive around for a while and then also make a few calls to find the right place. We found the temple and were able to have fun there.

After leaving the temple we headed to downtown Boston to find the start of the Freedom Trail. Boston has set up a walking tour that takes you to 18 of the historic sites in the city. The best part is there is a red brick path all the way through the city guiding you where you need to be.

 The trail started at the Boston Common. This is the oldest public park in America. It was really pretty and so full of life.
 On of the stops was King's Chapel. The original church on this site was built under the orders of King George. Boston's first burying ground is right next to the church. After the Revolution the became the first Unitarian Church in the country. It is also where convicts condemned to die heard their last sermon before being executed on the Boston Common.

I also found that this church still has an active congregation really interesting along with the reports of the building being haunted.
 This was one of my favorite sites on the trail. The original building on the site was the home of Anne Hutchinson. The site then became a very active publishing house that published works by a huge list of great authors.
 This is the Old North Church. We didn't get to go in because there is an entrance fee. The church is most famous for being where the lanterns were hung telling Paul Revere the Redcoats were coming by sea.
 Eric was the most excited to see the USS Constitution. Back in the 1800's Eric had an ancestor who had been kidnapped by pirates. He was finally liberated by the USS Constitution. The ship was really cool and it was great to be part of such a momentousness piece of history.



Okay this place wasn't technically on the Freedom Trail but we took a small detour. The whole day I kept noticing people with pastry boxes from this bakery. In a town the size of Boston for so many people to be going to the same place I knew it had to be good. I also knew it had to be on the trail. On our way back to the car we found it. There was a line out the door! Eric and I waited and got a couple treats. My cupcake was divine!!! Eric got a cannoli that we both thought was okay. I highly recommend it if you are ever in Boston. They only take cash so be prepared.

1 comment:

  1. AWWWWWWW! You went to see my temple! That's where Justin and I were sealed :o)

    ReplyDelete